Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A New Year, A New You?

2012 is upon us, and Lord knows we're all ready to start over in some way. But does it always have to be a new and improved you? Does it always have to be a complete do-over? Do you always have to have goals for the fiscal year alone?

Resolutions are great, but not just because it's a New Year. Resolutions give you happiness and a sense of calm once they are attained. There are the classic troubles that everyone reflects upon when the New Year hits - finances, marriages, relationships, business relations, health and fitness. But what should you really focus on this time around? (If you started singing Frank Sinatra's "The Second Time Around," I love you.)

Questions to ask yourself as this new year starts:
1. Am I really wanting a new year or am I wanting a new adventure?
2. How much good can I do for others in one year?
3. What will really put my sense of success over the moon?
4. Am I rushing or focusing on time to the point of missing out on precious moments?

This is not something I frequent. I really don't ask myself these questions. But reflecting on 2011, I had a great year, but it ended in an awful situation. I'm not sure how to survive life or how to fix the problems I'm having. So are resolutions really what I need? No. The "new and improved" me needs to be more improved than new. So here are some questions I'm asking myself.

1. Am I really wanting a new year or am I wanting a new adventure?
As a Senior in college, I am about to graduate this coming May. I have five months left to finish what I started. I don't go anywhere from here except the daily grind, and that does not excite me. I don't need a new year - I've had twenty two wonderful years so far, full of memories, adventures and failures. A new year isn't going to help anything. The world doesn't end and I get to pick and choose how this new year runs its course. Holy cow, how I wish that was how this universe worked.....but nooooooo. It doesn't work that way. A new adventure is exactly what I'm craving. Granted, I want to move home and go back to my old jobs this coming Summer, which isn't a new adventure at all (Unless you want to count potty-training a new class of three-year-olds an adventure, which is definitely an experience unto itself.). However, after this last semester proved to be a strong change of heart, some consistency and a good solid reminder of where I came from is exactly what I need for this new adventure to really take the effect I'm wanting it to take. So here's to a new year? No, thank you. Here's to a new me? Not happening. Here's to a new adventure? Yes, please!

2. How much good can I do for others in just one year?
I've always wanted to establish an organization that aids war veterans and military personnel with surprise visits home or transportation to their home when their families cannot provide it. How cool would that be - to be one of the first people to see someone who spends their time serving our country and giving us freedom and put a smile on their face and let them know they're loved *cue rabbit* This could be the year I do that, though our soldiers have been pulled out of Iraq, but it could still work, who knows? I've always wanted to adopt a child or be a surrogate mother, but that's not an option right now - maybe 2016? I do know I want to travel and see the world, but that doesn't benefit others. I would love to be a motivational speaker and help others on career choices, secondary education choices, and other things. *snatch rabbit* Anyway, I know I want to do things for others. So how much can I get away with in the 365 days of 2012?

3. What will really put my sense of success over the moon?
I am successful. I'm almost finished with my college education, I have an amazing family, I have spectacular friends, and I feel loved. That is really all I want out of life - to love and to be loved. Simple yet so hard! Sure, there's unconditional love, but how much do we really show each other how much we love each other? (Redundant, I know, but it serves a point.) There is so much more I want out of life, though. Now that I am about to graduate, I'm ready to have a smooth transition into adulthood. I probably won't be getting a job with my degree, and if I do, that's wonderful, but if I don't, I want to begin establishing myself in the community. As it comes with helping others, it also comes with responsibilities. I want to prove to myself and to others that I am ready for this responsibility. I also want to finally lose the weight I've always wanted to lose. As this is a new adventure for me, if I can pull it off, that will send my sense of success over the moon. Now, that's a big feat, and I'm ready for the challenge, but even the first ten pounds will send it soaring and on its way to orbit.

4. Am I rushing or focusing on time to the point of missing out on precious moments?
Yes. I know I am. After the change of heart early this past semester, I was rushing to get through the end that I missed out on really appreciating the time I had with the students I was with. What do you rush through? Does your teething baby keep you up at night and you find quick aids to "shut them up" instead of taking the extra time to interact with them and keep their mind off of the pain? Is your job unsatisfying and you do the basics on your work instead of rising to the top? Does your job and want for success consume your life to the point of missing holidays and vacations with family and friends? I know, I'm sounding like a commercial now. "Do you cut, rip and tear and your brownies never come out square? Do you need a hand? Now there's the Perfect Brownie Pan!" Mmmm, brownies.....*snatch rabbit* The point is, life is not about how much time you spend on this Earth or how much money you make. It's about the memories you make. You will always have memories. You won't always have money or material things. You could lose everything you own tomorrow, and all you'll have left is your family and friends. Those memories will keep you going and motivate you to turn the new leaf.

All to say, what does this new year really mean to you? "Auld lang syne" loosely means "for old times' sake." For old times' sake, what will you do this year?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll take a cup of kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

Gotta say, though, all this "Happy New Year!" hype gets me going with the champagne and fireworks and sparkly lights and kissing and lovey-dovey-ness and...*sigh*...it really is wonderful, no matter that I've never had a New Year's kiss. I don't need it. I only need the memories.


Happy New Year!
XOXO,
Gayle

No comments:

Post a Comment