Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lean On Me

Listen to this video on loop while you read. And really listen to the words. Oh, and if it starts playing "The Ides of March" trailer as your advertisement, watch it before you continue. Ryan Gosling and GEORGE CLOONEY!! Yum. Dibs on Clooney. Don't even try me. You can have Ryan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPoTGyWT0Cg

Ok. Obviously, the majority of my posts are about romance, but this one, in fact, spreads to ALL aspects of life. You can probably guess what I will say, but you know you need a refresher. Ready, set, go.

There are people in your life that you lean on. There are people in your life that lean on you. Think about what you go to them for. After a fight with your boyfriend? Drama with your BFF? (IDK my BFF Jill) School kicking your butt? Some idiot dumped you because they don't know how good you are? But what about those embarassing, shameful things you need help with? What if you make an embarassing, dumb mistake? What if you don't know who the guy is, but you think you may be pregnant? What if you don't have money and are seriously struggling to get by? What if you question your faith? Who will you turn to? Do you turn to anyone? What do you say? Do you tell the whole truth? I know there are a lot of questions here, but everything we do stems from a question. So when someone asks you, "Are you ok? Do you need help?," what do you say?

I've been there. I've been so far gone and struggling to the point of quitting. And I will admit, I was never the one who actually asked for help in the long run. The only help I ever asked for was prayer. But I did get help, and I realized how much people love me, care for me, and want to see me succeed. Do you realize that? Do you realize how much people love YOU, care for YOU, and want YOU to succeed?

All of us struggle at one point or another, and we feel like a pebble that people kick around on the walkway. We feel ashamed, embarrassed, lost, hopeless, lonely. We hold back parts of the truth, and even sometimes all of the truth. We say, "Oh, I'm fine" when we're dying inside. We say, "Today's a good day" when we want to crawl back in bed and cry.

NEWS FLASH: YOU ARE HUMAN!!!!!!!!

Everyone goes through it. If you need help, ask for it! Don't be afraid of rejection, because when one door closes, another opens. And maybe not a door. Maybe it's a foggy window that becomes clear. Maybe it's a streaked mirror that becomes clean. Maybe it's a hole in the roof that becomes a beautiful skylight. Right now, you may be a caterpillar, trapped in a cocoon. But guess what? (Chicken butt!)

Go throw up now, because I'm about to be so cliche it disgusts even me.

You are going to become a beautiful butterfly! You are going to spread your wings and soar! It may take only 10 days if you're a Monarch. It may take 14 days if you are a Snow Fly. It may take 21 days if you're a Red Tipped Moth. It may take a year if you're the very hungry caterpillar because your cocoon is GIGANTIC! No matter what, you will emerge from that cocoon! You will break free from resistance and the low! You will get to soar above the clouds and be admired by all!

Ok, cliche-ness finished. In all seriousness, if you need help, do not be ashamed to ask for it. I usually won't do this, but it really seems to fit. You don't have to believe in God to know that you will make it through the toughest trials. Rules will follow.

1 Kings 3:5-13 (NKJV)
5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, "Ask! What shall I give you?"

6 And Solomon said: "You have shown great mercy to Your servant David my father, because he walked before You in truth, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with You; You have continued this great kindness for him, and You have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. 7 Now, O LORD my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. 8 And Your servant is in the midst of Your people whom You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to be numbered or counted. 9 Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?"

10 The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 11 Then God said to him: "Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, 12 behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. 13 And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days.

RULES:
1. Be honest with yourself and with others.
2. Know the root of your problem, not just what you think will fix it.
3. Know that you are NEVER out of options.
4. Ask for help. Whether it be from God, your BFF Jill, or a complete stranger, ask for help when you need it.
5. Have faith and trust that everyone goes through tough times and that you will come through it.

Now, smile! As Marcel the Shell says, "Guess why I smile a lot? Because it's worth it."

XOXO,
Gayle

2 comments:

  1. This one made me laugh! Haha, love the butterfly cliche. But hey, it's a cliche for a reason, right? And I totally love that you concluded with "Marshell, ugh, no that's not the first time i've done that.." I mean, Marcel the Shell. :)

    ReplyDelete